NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
UNIVERSITY VILLAGE, PLOT 91, CASDASTRAL ZONE, NNAMDI AZIKIWE EXPRESS WAY, JABI, ABUJA.
FACULTY OF SCIENCES
JUNE/JULY 2013 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: BIO307
COURSE TITLE: EVOLUTION (2 units)
TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTIONS
1ai. Define classification
Ii Distinguish between prokaryotes and Eukaryotes.
- List the key evolutionary innovations that can be used to trace the evolution of the plant kingdom.
- How have seeds improved the adaptations of plants to living on land?
2ai. Define mutation?
- Outline the harmful mutations.
bi. Define adaptation.
- Write short notes on allopatric speciation and peripatric speciation.
3ai. Define the term Ecosystem.
- Ecology and Evolution are considered sister disciplines of the life science. Discuss.
bi. List the various techniques’ that can be used to investigate polymorphism in the laboratories.
- Discuss the mechanisms for balancing selection.
4ai. Define Biological Evolution?
- Describe mechanical isolation and hybrid gender.
bi. Enumerate the causes of spontaneous mutation.
- Classify mutations on the basis of their functional effects.
5ai.What are the major reasons for extinction?
- Write short notes on genetic structure and horizontal gene transfer.
bi. Define population genetics.
ii. Discuss the importance of linkage in population genetics.
6ai.What is genetic recombination?
- Write short notes on the following
- the fate of mutant alleles
- delaterious alleles
bi. List five probable stages involved in the origin of life.
ii. Explain the following evidences of evolution:
Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
Why should society feel responsible only for the education of children, and not for the education of all adults of every age?
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow.
Anthony J. D'Angelo
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.